Kale, Sweet Potato and Parsnip Salad
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/4” cubes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4” cubes
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ⅓ cup toasted pecans
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 6 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup cubed feta (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F, coat cubes of sweet potato and parsnips with olive oil, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Spread the seasoned sweet potato cubes out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
2. Roast sweet potato in preheated oven for about 35 minutes, or until the sweet potato is just barely golden brown on the edges (the exact time will depend on how large or small your sweet potato cubes are). Cool to room temperature.
3. Wash and drain kale well, remove tough stems and cut or tear into bite sized pieces. In a large bowl, sprinkle lightly with salt and massage kale by scrunching and releasing handfuls of kale, repeat for about 30 seconds, until kale is fragrant and dark green.
4. Preheat oven to 350 F. Put pecans on a baking sheet and toast them just until they become aromatic, about 5 minutes. Watch carefully as they are easily scorched.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, garlic, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. While whisking, slowly add the olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified.
6. In a large bowl dress the kale, add parsnips and sweet potatoes, feta, and pecans, gently combine and transfer to bowl or serving platter, garnish with pomegranate seeds.